Many transactions can be done online. To complete a transaction in person schedule an appointment. Appointments are recommended but not required.

What to bring

Congratulations on your new purchase!

To transfer ownership of a motor vehicle or mobile home titled in Florida, you must bring the following to any Tax Collector’s office:

  1. The Florida title properly and fully completed by both the buyer and seller. This includes the buyer and seller’s signature and printed name, purchase date and price and if applicable odometer reading and date read. If recording a lien, the lien holders name, address and date of lien are required.
  2. Each applicant, or their appointed power of attorney, must be present to sign a new application for title. Bring personal identification in the form of a Driver License or Identification card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, a passport, or Canadian driver license or identification card. If you are the appointed power of attorney, the original or certified copy of the original signed appointment must be presented at time of application.
  3. Applicant’s date of birth and Florida driver license number are recorded as part of the application.
  4. Sales tax is collected on the purchase price of a vehicle assigned to you.
  5. Proof of Florida property damage and PIP insurance to purchase a license plate. Company name, insurance identification code and policy number is required.
  6. If transferring a license plate or decal, submit the previous registration or license plate and decal number.

If the out-of-state title is currently in the possession of an out-of-state lienholder, you must contact the lienholder to request that the title be transferred to Florida.

Regardless of whether the lienholder will transfer the title to Florida or not, you must have your vehicle registered.

  • If the lienholder refuses to transfer title from the previous state, request for them to send that to you in writing on letterhead. Once you obtain that letter, you may bring it to a motor vehicle service center to apply for a registration.
  • If the lienholder agrees to have the title transferred to Florida, you may visit a local motor vehicle service center to complete the Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040).

Prepare a packet containing the following: (Please note: special circumstances may require additional documentation.)

  • Proof of identity (required for all owners)
  • Proof of Florida insurance
  • Original out-of-state title
  • When applying for title, ALL owners are required to sign a completed Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040).
  • Verification of physical inspection of the motor vehicle’s vehicle identification number (VIN), completed on an Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040) or Vehicle Identification Number and Odometer Verification (HSMV form 82042). The VIN must be physically inspected and verified by one of the following:
    1. A Law Enforcement Officer.
    2. A Military Police Officer.
    3. A licensed Florida Dealer.
    4. A county tax collector employee or Division of Motorist Services Compliance Examiner (which can be located at any local service center offering motor vehicle services).

Links for additional information on requirements

Florida Tax Collectors Association