As a new Florida resident, you must obtain a valid Florida driver license within 30 days of establishing residency to drive on Florida roads. In addition, you must obtain insurance from a Florida insurance agent that is licensed to sell insurance in Florida in order to title and register your vehicle(s), vessel(s), and mobile home(s) within 10 days of establishing residency.
Applications for driver license/ID cards must be made in person. When applying for a driver license, you will be given a vision test.
For a list of the required documentation you will need to obtain a Florida driver license or Florida ID card, please click on your applicable residency status below:
For vehicles with a lien:
- If the out-of-state title is currently in the possession of an out-of-state lienholder, you must contact the lienholder to request that the title be transferred to Florida.
- Regardless of whether the lienholder will transfer the title to Florida or not, you must have your vehicle registered.
- If the lienholder refuses to transfer title from the previous state, request for them to send that to you in writing on letterhead. Once you obtain that letter, you may bring it to one of our branches to apply for a registration.
- If the lienholder agrees to have the title transferred to Florida, you may visit one of our branches to complete the Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040).
For vehicles without a lien:
- Prepare a packet containing the following: (Please note: special circumstances may require additional documentation.)
- Proof of identity (required for all owners)
- Proof of Florida insurance
- Original out-of-state title
- When applying for title, ALL owners are required to sign a completed Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040).
- Verification of physical inspection of the motor vehicle’s vehicle identification number (VIN) completed on an Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040) or Vehicle Identification Number and Odometer Verification (HSMV form 82042). The VIN must be physically inspected and verified by one of the following: